The COVID-19 pandemic has made travelling, meeting in person, and exchanging goods a lot harder. In other words: pretty much every aspect of trading heavy equipment across borders is affected by the coronavirus. How can you still keep trading during these times of crisis? Read our tips on buying a machine or vehicle during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Do as much as possible online
Our marketplace was designed to make most of the trading process possible online. This is how you can do as much of the work upfront as possible:
- Check the ad thoroughly. Read all the info meticulously and inspect the photos.
- Ask the seller for all details and documentation upfront.
- Rigorously check the vehicle’s state by asking questions. Are there any damages or imperfections? Ask for detailed photos.
- More general tips can be found in our article on how to perform a used transport vehicle inspection.
How we help you
Especially during this COVID-19 pandemic, we recognize the role we play in the trading process. As the smarter global heavy equipment marketplace, we make online trading easier. Here are some tools we offer that can make your buying process smoother:
- Detailed search filters help you narrow your search down to the vehicles that exactly match your needs.
- Our unique TMV (or Tradus Market Value Tool) indicates the fair market price for you. This helps you make an informed decision from a distance.
- We manually approve all sellers to keep the risk of dealing with scammers to an absolute minimum. Also read our tips to stay safe as a buyer on Tradus.
- Real-time translation software helps you communicate easily and hassle-free with sellers – regardless of their native language.
- Our seller map (found in the Tradus mobile app) helps you locate sellers within a region. It’s the perfect tool in times when you have to keep traveling to a minimum.
- Our news, insights, and tips help you improve your buying process.
And we have a lot of new tools and features coming up… Want to keep up with our latest developments? Make sure you check our Tradus blog regularly!
When dealing with a seller in person
To help minimize the spreading of the COVID-19 pandemic, you shouldn’t meet in person unless absolutely necessary. However, the inspection of the equipment is usually conducted on the seller’s lot. When dealing with the seller, always keep the following in mind:
- Keep your distance. The recommended minimum is 2 meters (or 6 feet).
- Make sure the seller has no symptoms of COVID-19 – otherwise don’t agree to meet.
- If you need to make a test drive, try to do it alone. You can give the seller a personal item (such as your driver’s license) as a surety.
- Don’t exchange items directly with the seller, such as keys, paperwork, etc. Let one person place it on a table and the other person pick it up.
- Don’t shake hands – even when you seal the deal – or make any other form of physical contact.
- Make sure the seller has cleaned parts of the vehicle or machine that may have been touched during previous inspections. For example, after every inspection the seller should at least clean the:
- Steering wheel;
- radio and/or touchscreen;
- dashboard and center console knobs, levers, and switches;
- door, glove compartment, and other storage compartment handles;
- steering wheel, gear, and handbrake levers, and
- other switches, knobs, levers, and controls on the inside and outside.
Picking up your equipment?
Are you transporting the vehicle or machine yourself? Check the latest COVID-19 info for the transport sector before taking the trip. This could save you a lot of time and hassle on the road.
Follow the latest news
Being the smarter heavy machinery marketplace, we keep you informed about the latest news and trends. We regularly update our blog with news and info on the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more Tradus COVID-19 updates.